Join AmeriCorps with the PHA!
The Accessing Home AmeriCorps PHA member will help address challenges faced by our residents.
The Accessing Home AmeriCorps PHA Member will serve a one-year term with an option to renew upon successful completion of their first year. The service year runs from August 2019 through August of 2020.
Member training and mentoring with the PHA and Accessing Home programs will occur regularly and members are eligible to receive professional certification as a Resident Services Coordinator upon completion of their service year.
Applicants are required to submit to a 3-part criminal history check (you cannot have been convicted of murder or sexual assault) and document status as a citizen or lawful permanent resident. Members must be at least 18 years old and have or be in the process of obtaining a high school diploma or GED. You cannot have served as an AmeriCorps member more than 3 times in the past and must also be committed to completing an entire service year (from August 19, 2019 through August 14, 2020) and completing the 1700 hours of service.
In addition, candidates should
- Be bilingual – English and Spanish preferred.
- Be comfortable using Microsoft Office
- Have availability to work some evening and weekend hours, as needed.
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Be committed to the Accessing Home program’s ethic of service and personal and professional development of its participants
- Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in all required training and events across Rhode Island
- Be available to regularly serve 32-35 hours per week
The PHA is also looking for applicants who:
- Are dedicated and have initiative.
- Have experience working simultaneously on multiple projects.
- Are able to advocate, organize, problem-solve and obtain results.
- Are able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Have an ability to travel to various sites across Providence.
There are many benefits to the AmeriCorps program. Full-time members receive:
- Living Allowance of $557.69 pre-taxes/bi-weekly
- Education Award of $ 6,095.00
- Loan interest accrual payments, if eligible
- Health Coverage (excludes dependents)
- Childcare assistance, if eligible
- Training, Professional certification as a Resident Services Coordinator
About Accessing Home Across the State
The Accessing Home initiative launched in 2016 to help Rhode Island families find and stay in affordable, safe, and healthy housing.
Through this initiative, NeighborWorks Blackstone River Valley partnered with community development organizations, nonprofits, and public housing authorities like the PHA to equip Rhode Islanders with the resources needed to do just that. Each year’s cohort train together, support each other and provide valuable perspectives from around the State that add to the quality of work at each site.
About the National AmeriCorps Program
To learn more about federal AmeriCorps programs in general, visit www.AmeriCorps.gov.
Ready to Apply?
Learn more about the 2 available positions on our Careers page! Resumes and cover letters can be sent to Ainsley Cantoral, Strategic Initiatives Advisor, via email at ACantoral@ProvHousing.org with the Subject line: Accessing Home AmeriCorps.