The CARES Act prohibits evictions for tenants with Section 8 rental assistance. This means that you cannot be evicted for nonpayment of rent through July 25, 2020. This protection only applies to new eviction cases for nonpayment of rent.  You must always pay your rent. The CARES Act only protects you from eviction temporarily.

If you are not able to pay your rent, please call your Program Representative immediately (see below to locate their contact information) to discuss any changes in your family’s income or organizations that may be able to help you.

If you receive any legal notice, please call your Program Rep. Also, call RI Legal Services at (401) 274-2652, RI Center for Justice (401 491-1101 or your private attorney for advice. Never ignore the notice and never go to court without legal representation.

Safety & Security

Basic Need

The United Way of RI’s 2-1-1 call line is a free, confidential service. Calls are answered by a trained professional.

Adult Education

Progreso Latino provides adult basic education that prepares adult students below 8th grade to enter the Adult Secondary Education program.


The RI Department of Human Services provides a wide range of information concerning  accessing child care. 

Elder Issues

The Point serves older adults, persons living with disabilities, or  caregivers in search of available resources. 


Skills for RI’s Future (SkillsRI) works to close the workforce skills gap in RI, drive business growth, and move unemployed/underemployed Rhode Islanders into open positions. SkillsRI provides workforce services that meet the demands of local employers, fostering talent development while helping Rhode Islanders achieve upward mobility.  The agency hosts Skills Academy, an online learning hub for Rhode Islanders looking to build and gain new skills that will help them succeed in today’s dynamic workforce.  Call (401) 680-5960 or visit the agency’s website at for more information.  

Disability Rights & Services

The Governor’s Commission on Disabilities ensures that all people with disabilities are afforded the opportunities to exercise all the rights and responsibilities accorded to citizens of RI and each person with a disability is able to reach his/her maximum potential in independence, human development, productivity, and self-sufficiency.  Call (401) 462-0104 for more information.

Financial Counseling

Elmwood Financial Center (One Neighborhood Builders) provides first-time homebuyers classes, as well as free financial coaching and financial well-being workshops.  Call (401) 351-8719.

Discrimination & Civil Rights

The Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights is one of the oldest state agencies in the country that specializes in antidiscrimination law enforcement.  The Commission’s major program activities include outreach and education, intake, investigation and settlement of discrimination charges, and administrative hearings.  

English As A Second Language

Dorcas International Institute is the leader of the Greater Providence Adult Education Consortium. And along with partner agencies — the Center for Southeast Asians (CSEA), the Community Action Partnership of Providence (CAPP), the Environmental Justice League (EJ League), Goodwill Industries of Rhode Island

Healthcare Services

Behavioral Health/Substance Use/Mental Health:  BH Link is an organization with a mission is to ensure all Rhode Islanders 18+ experiencing mental health and substance use crises receive the appropriate services they need as quickly as possible in an environment that supports their recovery. The agency’s goal is to connect people seamlessly to ongoing treatment.   Call (401) 414-5465 (24 hours a day) or visit the agency’s website at for more information.

Domestic Violence

Sojourner House Inc. is an agency organized to serve battered adults and their children. The organization helps clients rebuild their lives, piece by piece, through a variety of services. It also works to raise awareness on many issues related to domestic violence: teen violence, HIV/AIDS prevention, elder abuse, and LGBTQ partner abuse.  This organization is not an emergency response agency, for emergency situations call 911.  This organization can be contacted in the following ways:  Administration:  (401) 765-3232;  Confidential Text:  (401) 214-7882; Online Support Groups: (401) 861-6191; Housing Office: (401) 808-6889.

Veteran’s Services

The U.S.  Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) provides a wide range of services, including benefit information, ID cards, claims, education, home loans, insurance, health resources, and extended care and assisted living.  Call 1- (800) 698-2411 for more information.

Child Care

The RI Department of Human Services provides a wide range of information concerning  accessing child care.  For more information visit the agency’s website at

Food in Security

Rhode Island Community Food Bank, Online Food Assistance List provides comprehensive information about food pantries throughout Rhode Island, including addresses, hours of operation, and contact information.  The Food Bank updates the list regularly.  More information can be found at