Are you a current Housing Choice Voucher (HCV or “Section 8) program participant interested in moving? Read on to learn more about the process of moving into or out of Providence.

Please note that until you move, you must continue to pay rent to your current landlord. Your security deposit will not count as your last month’s rent to your landlord and nonpayment of rent may cause a delay in your transfer.

Click here to view the Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) information flyer in English and Spanish.

Looking for a unit?

Process for Moving to or from Providence

Moving Within Providence?

Participants currently residing in Providence must remain in their unit for at least one year.  After that first year, you may apply to move with your Program Representative.  If you owe money to the property owner or to the PHA, your request to move will be denied.

To move, you (the tenant) and property owner (the landlord) will need to sign and return a “30 Day Notice” document notifying your landlord of your intent to move.  Program Representatives issue these forms upon request.

Once the 30 Day Notice is received by the PHA, your Program Representative will issue a “Request for Tenancy Approval” to be filled out by your new, prospective landlord.  Your Rep will also advise you on the remaining procedures to assist in your move.

PHA Move Days for Section 8 Voucher Holders:

Meet with your program representative to review your move.  While the PHA staff is not meeting in person due to the COVID pandemic, they will set up an appointment to meet with you via phone or Zoom online meeting. Typically, “Move Day” appointments are scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Moving Out of Providence?

Participants with a Housing Choice Voucher may port out (transfer) to any housing authority that administers the program throughout the United States or its territories; Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Much like the process outlined above, a 30 Day Notice must be signed by your current landlord and returned to the office. Similarly, you cannot be approved to move if you owe money to the property owner or to the PHA.

Once the 30 Day Notice has been signed, please provide your PHA Program Representative with the name, address and contact person’s name at the new housing authority you will be transferring to so that your packet can be sent. Once the transfer is approved, you will be able to move.

Before Your Transfer / Port Out

Ask the following questions before you begin the transfer process:

  • What housing authority oversees the area you are moving to?
  • Who handles their Section 8 department? Specifically, what is the name and contact information of the program representative that manages transfers or port-ins? You will want their first and last name, phone number, email, fax and mailing address if at all possible.
  • What are their occupancy standards and will they differ from Providence? Some housing authorities have different standards and may approve you for a different number bedrooms than you had in Providence based on those standards.
  • What are the rent limits for their vouchers? The housing authority may have different payment limits than Providence and you will want to know that up front.

Moving To Providence from another Housing Authority?

To begin the process, contact your current housing authority Program Representative to notify them that you would like to transfer to Providence, Rhode Island. They will inform you of the procedures you must complete to initiate the transfer on their end. Their office will send your Port Packet to Providence* in one of two ways:

  • via fax: 401-351-1191 Subject: Port-In
  • or via mail:

Providence Housing Authority Leased Housing Department 100 Broad Street Providence, RI 02903

3-4 days after your package has been sent, you should contact the PHA at 401-709-1600 to make an appointment for further screening.  During that appointment, your PHA Program Representative will explain the inspection and leasing procedures, as well as deadlines for submitting a Request for Lease Approval to ensure that your move goes smoothly. You will also be briefed and receive a Participant Handbook  to educate you about Providence’s policies and procedures, which may differ from where you are currently being assisted.

Participants may look for a unit in a multi-family house, duplex, apartment complex or a single family home within the reasonable rent limits.  The PHA strongly encourages participants to look for a unit in areas of a low concentration of poverty and offers a higher Payment Standard for housing in the East Side of Providence (i.e. the neighborhoods of Mt. Hope, Fox Point, Hope, Wayland, Blackstone, and College Hill).

Whether your voucher will be absorbed or administered by the PHA is an internal decision based on funding levels at the time and often varies.

*Please note that the PHA does not accept packets hand-delivered by the participant.

Acceptance by the PHA

If you are transferring into Providence, please be aware that the PHA conducts a national criminal screening search for each person in the household 18 years of age or older. Participants with drug or violent criminal activity within the past 5 years may be ineligible; however, there will be an opportunity for an informal hearing to present any additional information to be taken into consideration such as treatment programs, references, supportive services, etc that are in place at the time of your request to transfer.

Participants owing money to any housing authority in the country will not be leased unless you pay in full according to federal regulations.