Applying for Section 8
The Providence Housing Authority (PHA) Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) waiting list opened June 6, 2019. It will remain open until further notice.
Joining the Centralized Waiting List
You may apply to Rhode Island’s Section 8 Centralized Waiting List by visiting www.waitlist-centralri.com to submit an application for the PHA and all of the other Housing Authorities in Rhode Island that may have an open Section 8 waiting list. There are numerous benefits to registering for a free account with the Centralized Waiting List including:
- Access to Housing Choice Vouchers available throughout the State
- Ability to save your application at any time and complete at a later date
- Easily updating your information to receive notices (note: make sure to update both your email and mailing addresses to receive all updates to your account).
- Checking your wait list status for multiple cities and towns in one location.
Income Limits and Preferences
Learn more about the 2019 income limits.
You can also learn about our preferences.
Current PHA Waiting List Applicants
If you are a current PHA Waiting List applicant, it is important to provide us with your current address and correct contact information. If the PHA is unable to contact you to provide notices about the Waiting List, your name will be removed. Visit the Central Wait List to update your information in the online portal beginning on June 6, 2019.
The PHA offers several special programs that fall under our Section 8 program in Leased Housing.
Project-Based Rental Assistance
In 2019, the PHA piloted a program that will provide up to 50 project-based units throughout the City of Providence. The vouchers have been awarded and more information will be provided as these units become available.
Additionally, the following locations offer PHA project-based assistance:
- University Heights (21 units) – 99 Roger Williams Green Providence, RI 02904
- Elmwood Commons (30 units) – 861 A Broad Street #A Providence, RI 02907
- Sutterfield Apartments (60 units) – 12 South Lane Providence, RI 02904
- Open Doors (19 units) – 485 Plainfield St. Providence, RI 02909
Veteran’s Supportive Housing
The Veteran’s Supportive Housing (VASH) Program is a joint effort between the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Veterans Administration (VA). VASH allocates vouchers to housing authorities, like the PHA, for veterans and their families to live in market rate rental units with the VA provides case management services. The PHA has received an allotment of VASH vouchers annually since 2008 and currently administers 209 throughout the State.
To learn more about the VASH program, visit the VA’s website.
To apply for a VASH unit, veterans must contact the VA at 401-265-4114 for eligibility criteria and application process. The VA determines eligibility for the program and the type of unit received.
The PHA also provides project-based assistance for veterans through the VASH program at the following locations:
- Veteran’s for Tomorrow (20 units) – 115 Douglas Ave. Providence, RI 02904
- Sgt. Belanger Housing (11 units) – 963 Chalkstone Ave. Providence, RI 02908
Sgt. Belanger Housing – 963 Chalkstone Avenue
Veterans for Tomorrow – 1115 Douglas Avenue